Sunday, July 22, 2012

Cilantro Lime Pork Chop and Roasted Cauliflower




This morning I met up with two of my favorite friends, Melanie and Nichole, and headed out to try Flying Trapeze (at Emerald City Trapeze Arts) for the first time in my entire life. It was terrifying (exhilarating?). I can't even say that I was excited until after my first attempt. Even then, I felt like my whole body had turned into one big conduit of nervous energy. Melanie and I, as newcomers, learned the Knee Hang Trick while Nichole worked on some kind of advanced flying squirrel routine - I think called the Whip, officially. Both Melanie and Nichole successfully "made the catch" with their new tricks (meaning, they performed their tricks and interacted with a professional trapeze artist to dismount from their bars). I didn't go for a catch. I don't think I did too shabby for my first time hanging upside down by my knees but I was a little hesitant and okay with just practicing the move and dismounting via backward roll.

I spent the rest of my day drinking smoothies, eating frozen yogurt and photographing a family with my boyfriend. When I finally made it home for the day I decided to cook myself a "fancy" meal instead of clean up the house. (This meal isn't really fancy and is more just kind of thrown together using anything I could find in the fridge. But I'm still not cleaning up the house.)


Cilantro Lime Jalapeno Sauce
1/2 bunch cilantro
4 green onions, white parts only (I had fancy "red green onions" from the farmers market to use up)
1 jalapeno, chopped
1 lime, zest & half of the lime's juice
generous drizzle of olive oil
1 clove garlic

Place in food processor and process to the desired consistency. Add more olive oil if you'd like to thin out the sauce. 

Set in the fridge until use.

Cauliflower
1/2 a head of cauliflower, chopped with flat edges
drizzle of olive oil
your choice of assorted seasonings

Heat the oven to 405.

Cut the head of cauliflower in half and then cut the half into manageable pieces, leaving flat edges for even cooking. Place on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Season with cayenne pepper, ginger, black pepper and salt.

Bake for 10 to 15 minutes. Flip and bake for an additional 10 minutes.

Once you flip the cauliflower go ahead and get started on the pork.

Pork Chop

1 pork chop, bone in
drizzle of olive oil
your choice of assorted seasonings

In a medium sized skillet over medium heat drizzle with olive oil and place the pork chop in the skillet. I seasoned my pork chop with half of a lime's worth of juice, pepper and ginger. Allow to saute for up to 4 minutes and then flip, allowing an additional 4 minutes of sauteing.

Remove from the pan and place on a plate with the cauliflower. Top the pork with a healthy spoonful of Cilantro Lime Jalapeno sauce and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment